July 4, 2016

MIYM-APPLE CRISP


I know, I know. Nothing is as American as Apple Pie. Which is what I should be making for 4th of July. However, here is the thing. I suck at pie crust. Like really suck. I have yet to get it right and I refuse to by pre-made filled with crap pie crusts. So instead we are gonna do a crisp. Plus I really like crisp desserts.

It is super simple to make. I am sure you pretty much have the ingredients on hand and it awesome with fruit that is close to the end of it's shelf life. Given the ease of this treat, I would totally recommend calling in the kiddos to help. Well let's get to it shall we....

APPLE CRISP

Ingredients:

Filling
4-5 Apples
1 cup white sugar*
1-2 tsp cinnamon**

Topping
1 cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 stick (8 tbsp) butter (room temp – slightly soft)
½ – 1 cup oatmeal

Instructions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350°
  2. Combine flour, brown sugar and oatmeal in a bowl. Make sure it is mixed well.
  3. Add your butter in chunks. You can use your hands or a fork. I prefer my hands. You want to mix the butter and the dry mix together by grabbing and squeezing forming large clumps. Once mixed set in the fridge while you work on the filling.
  4. Peel and core your apples. Slice or chop into medium chunks.
  5. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Add apples and make sure they are thoroughly coated.
  6. In a glass dish coated with a thin layer of butter, pour in your apples.
  7. Top with your crumble. Be sure to make sure apples are completely covered.
  8. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
  9. Bake for 30 mins then remove foil and bake for another 10-15 mins. Top should be a deep golden brown.
  10. Let cook slightly and serve with ice cream. Add some honey for an extra pop of flavor!

*One note here, depending on the sweetness of your apples will determine just as much sugar you add, I used Golden Delicious

** Add as much as you want. This is your crisp after all!

See how simple that is. It is a great summer treat. Minimal effort. You can even save it in the fridge and eat it the next day cold or reheat and serve with ice cream again. This recipe works for blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, and peaches with only one change. Add in 2-3 tsp of cornstarch to help thicken the juices.

What is your go to summer treat? What is your favorite 4th of July dish? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to see what you folks enjoy!

*Note: Pardon the inconsistencies with the post images. I am trying out different sizes, fonts, etc.*

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...