January 15, 2018

PEANUT BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES






Okay. I have to admit. I am NOT a peanut butter person. I am really not a chocolate person either. But I am a shortbread cookie person and my family loves pb & chocolate. So why not combine the two but in a healthier manner. I searched around and so many had ingredients I just don't keep in my home. So it was time to play. I have seen on numerous occassions sour cream being used on baking. Primarely cakes but no reason it can't go in a cookie. One major issue, I am lactose intolerant and sour cream is just too much for me. Greek yogurt however is not and I always sub fage for sour cream (you should totally try it in potatoes!). Now for the sugar and butter. Well if we are adding yogurt we don't need to add as much butter because your creaminess is coming from yogurt as well. Great. Sugar is always easy. Maple syrup, agave, splenda are all easy subs. For flavor I kept a little brown sugar and added maple. Easier than I thought. 

As I said earlier I am not a pb fan. I have never liked pb cookies. These converted me. They are so good. A tip if you want them to be round like regular cookies let them sit in the fridge then use a cookie scoop. Onto the recipe!




Ingredients:
2 3/4 cup Flour
1 stick (8 tbsp) butter (room temp,  must be soft)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
100 g of plain Greek yogurt (I use Fage)

Optional: Chocolate chips (amount and kind in up to you)

Bake 20 - 30 mins at 250ºF


Instructions:
*Preheat your oven to 250ºF*

1. Mix butter, sugar and yogurt. Once thoroughly mixed, add in your vanilla. 

2. Add your peanut butter. Mix thoroughly.

3. Add your flour 1/2 cups at a time. This way everything gets mixed right. 

4. If you are letting them rest in the fridge do so for 30 - 60 mins. Otherwise line a baking pan with parchment paper and pour your mix into the pan and spread out. I suggest a 7 x 12 pan.

5. Bake for 20 - 30 mins depending on your desired crunchiness at 250ºF. As soon as they are done, slice into squares or rectangles. 

6. Whole those are cooling, start melting your chocolate chips.
  • Use a double boiling method. Fill a pot half way with water, place glass or metal bowl on top making sure it sits just above the water and seals all around the pot. You don't want the steam escaping. Stir every couple minutes to make sure all the chips melt. Once melted it's time to dip your cookies in them.
7. EAT!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...