June 27, 2016

MIYM – LEMON PANCAKES




How many of you remember your pancakes coming from a box? I sure do. Aside from going to a restaurant for breakfast, that is how I got my pancakes. Nothing wrong with that. Now that I am at a place where I want as much control as possible when it comes to my food, I had to find out just how hard it is to make them yourself.

Surprisingly it's really simple. I make up a large dry batch so there is some always handy and ready to go. Customizing each time you make it is also very easy. So far I've done lemon, oatmeal, chocolate chip, banana nut, peanut butter chocolate. Out of them all, lemon is the favorite in this home.

Below is the recipe for the mix and lemon pancakes.

PANCAKE MIX

4 cups flour (you can use whole wheat. I do a 50/50 mix on white/whole wheat)
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt (I choose kosher salt because it has a lower sodium count)
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar

Keep in an airtight container and make sure you shake up the mix prior to using. Sometimes the salt can shift and sink. Especially if you use coarse salt like me.

LEMON PANCAKES

1 1/4 cup mix
1 egg
1 cup milk (any milk will do. For buttermilk lemon pancakes just use buttermilk.)
1 tbsp butter (melted)
2-3 tbsp lemon extract (Remember the extract will cook out some so don't be afraid to taste the batter add more if it's not strong enough)

Whisk until smooth and then pour batter onto a preheated pan or griddle and cook until bubbles that appear on the surface of each pancake have popped.

Pour slowly and decide as you go how big you want them to be. When you pour, keep in the center, the batter will spread out on it's own.

Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes, until the second side is golden brown. One batch makes about 8-10 good-sized pancakes, or enough for 4 people.

And that is it! Serve with powdered sugar or syrup. It's also extremely good with lemon curd on top and warm maple syrup. Mix it up and tell me how you like it! What I like is you can change the flavor by adding any extract. You can even toss some pecans and bananas with a little cinnamon on top. Or how about adding some chocolate chips!

How do you like your pancakes? Are you a simple and yummy buttermilk pancake person? Or perhaps you like something with a little more flare? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to read all the combinations!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...