March 11, 2016

FACEBOOK DETOX – IT'S GOOD FOR YOU


Facebook has provided a place for people to connect from all over the world. Those we've lost touch with and new people. That's great. I've befriend many awesome women through groups on Facebook. People share advice, their new babies, family vacations, and things that just don't need to be shared. It's brought people closer. However it has also created a crutch of sorts. We depend too heavily on the social life of others. We depend too heavily on the approval of others through the simple click of a like button. I understand the convenience of social networking. I've been subject to it's habit forming ways for awhile now. Yes, it's great to be able to connect with a long lost loved one, or to find our birth parents or siblings. But when you are on vacation? Or when you are at work? What about when you are on a date?

Facebook for me personally has been the biggest drain. You end up not living, not enjoying life because you are too focused on what someone else did in their life. You end up waiting for the likes to come in. It's an addiction. Along with this, you also are opening the doors for the creeps to step in. So many people have been robbed, stalked, harassed. Who needs that kind of mess.

I have decided to severely decrease my time with Facebook. I only allow myself so many minutes on Facebook to thank folks for their advice, laugh, and congratulate others. I do 60 minutes total a day. In 20 minute increments, more info on this in another post. Then it's bye bye Facebook until the next day. I removed my business page from there because I just didn't keep up with it and felt it wasn't needed for where I want to go with this blog (i.e. simple living, minimalism, cutting back, etc). I am actually happy with my choice. At first it was hard to not check every few minutes. Over time I noticed I was getting more accomplished. You should try it. What could it hurt?

Did you do a Facebook or social media detox? How did it go? Considering it? Tell me about it in the comments below.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...